Monday, November 28, 2005

Thanksgiving

This weekend, before gorging myself with turkey and watching the Bronc's squeak out a win in Dallas, I ran the Turkey Trot with Barb and some friends. The race goes once around the outside of Washington Park and then continues around the inner path of the park for 4 miles. This was the first race I have ever run in that I actually got in a zone and just pushed faster and faster each mile. It was a great feeling and I as a rusult, I finished with a PR.

Friday I wasted $100 on 2 tickets to the CU-Nebraska game. Talk about a let down. We have looked fairly good all season and to come in and just get destroyed by a mediocre Nebraska team was disheartening. Our offense was anemic, but that's nothing new. However, our Defence, usually pretty solid, was letting Nebraska and their....wait for it...... West Coast Offense, throw all over us. The upside was that the day was beautiful and we were able to meet up with a bunch of college friends that were in town for the game. And even though we lost, we still somehow managed to win the Big 12 North. Talk about a division of mediocrity! Basically this win means that means we'll get to watch as Texas pummels us and then probably go to the Holiday Bowl and have Oregon pummel us too. Ah, brings back memories of the Fiesta Bowl 4 years ago :)

To top off the game loss, our fans, possibly the worst in the Big 12, took it on themselves to “decorate” the fields with garbage.

Just to give you a little taste of what the game looked like, here is a quote from John Henderson of the Denver Post


‘In 40-plus years of watching college football, I can't recall a 15 1/2-point favorite with so much on the line against a team in such shambles and looking more incompetent, disorganized and flat as Colorado in its 30-3 drubbing by Nebraska on Friday.

The only aspect worse than Colorado's play was two sections of CU students who transformed themselves into a soccer crowd in a banana republic. If you were at Folsom Field dodging the flying rubbish, bottles and sanity, it looked worse on TV. ABC play-by-play man Mike Tirico carved up the offending students, calling them "an embarrassment" and pushing the university to take action.

Then in a surreal scene right out of a war zone, Tirico urged sideline reporter Suzy Shuster to "get outta there" while she reported from a cleared-out section with some tequila-laced student ringing a cowbell.’

Friday after the game we headed up to the Mountain House for the weekend. Our place is great and everyone seems to be getting along so well. The next morning we hit Keystone early to avoid the crazy crowds this weekend. I boarded horribly. The snow was patchy and they have only groomed 2 runs so far, Mozart and Schoolmarm, both of with were jam-packed with Texans flying all over the mountain like a blind monkey driving an eighteen-wheeler down the freeway……yes, it’s worth it to pause and picture that. So avoiding the monkeys was a must and that left runs that besides being patched with icy, snow-pack or dirt, were covered in moguls. Now I am an intermediate boarder and by the end of last year I could handle some moguls, however, after about 7 straight tumbles down the mountain on my third run I was feeling some pain. In one of the numerous tumbles I took, I think I rebruised my ribs. Sucks but at least I got to get up to the mountains this weekend. It was a lot of fun to get my first day in.

Also, just a side note, Barb is an incredible skier. She really zooms down anything so elegantly. If you are ever out here and want someone to ski hard and challenge you, talk to Barb.

The rest of the weekend I sat in a chair, drank a fair amount of liquor and waited for my entire body to stiffen up.

Overall a great Thanksgiving Weekend though.

No comments: