Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Come On.....Flag Burning........Really?

Is a flag burning ban really the most pressing issue for the senate to address? I understand that it is a great “tool” to use when campaigning that your opponent voted it was ok to degrade our flag and, therefore, what it stands for, but I am a little disgusted by this waste of time, tax-payer’s money and senatorial effort. With all the pressing issues at hand, the war in Iraq, social security reform, health care reform, border control, why are all our senators taking time to pass a flag-burning amendment?

I am a patriot; I’m glad to be from America and wouldn’t personally want to degrade our flag and what it stands for, but aren’t we a country founded on freedom? Ironic, that this potential new constitutional amendment, contradicts our very first amendment, freedom of speech. It isn’t “freedom of speech, unless the congress doesn’t like it.” Shouldn’t someone have the right to express their anger at our country by burning the flag? We allow people to burn other country’s flags; it’s ok if someone burns a likeness of our president or a presidential candidate, but our flag…no.

I guess I will just have to sit at home, and watch this fascinating and pressing debate and see what the outcome is…….all the while eating my freedom fries.

No comments: