Thursday, February 16, 2006

To Netflix or Not?

Reading a recent article about Netflix:
http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/02/10/netflix.penalty.ap/


I began to ponder my existence….. Really, most of the movies we see on Netflix aren’t that great. Basically, Barb or I will see a trailer for a movie coming to a theatre, get all excited about it and, unless we are dying to see it immediately, add it to the Netflix queue. Then when we get the movie on Netflix 9 months later, it’s not that great. As a result, I think Hollywood has gotten so good at making interesting and compelling trailers for mediocre movies. I would say 4 out of 5 movies I see on Netflix aren’t that great. The trailers make them look amazing, but in reality they’re not. Case in Point; take a look at the last 10 Netflix movies we’ve seen:

  1. Happy Endings – Slow start, but actually a good flick
  2. The Brothers Grimm – So strange, so strange
  3. Crimes and Misdemeanors – Overrated Woody Allen babble; makes me think the newly added “Match Point” will suck too.
  4. The Wedding Date – This was an entertaining plane movie.
  5. Madagascar – A good cartoon, but…..it’s a cartoon.
  6. Constantine – Horrendous, Despite Keanu Reeves amazing acting skills, the dialogue and story was horrible.
  7. War of the Worlds – Very anti-climatic ending, would have also been better if Tom Cruise wasn’t so looney.
  8. Crash – Totally overrated, too many actors makes for one-dimensional characters.
  9. Monster-In-Law – Only a couple good scenes where Jane Fonda is batshit crazy.
  10. The Interpreter – Sooooooo Boring, oh my god, this is the cure for insomnia.

Really, I would say 1 of these flicks was really a good movie and maybe 3 or 4 more were mildly entertaining. As critics are usually so jaded they don't like anything that isn't about a gay cowboy or stars an oscar winner, my question is where do I go to find out which movies to weed out and which ones to watch?

No comments: