Monday, September 29, 2008

I need a vacation….

I haven’t gone anywhere for more than a long weekend in 1.5 years. It’s depressing, I haven’t spent more than 4 days in a row away from my office (or traveling for work) in 18 months! As a result I find myself daydreaming about where I want to go, here is a partial list:

1. Vietnam – I have always wanted to see Vietnam. It’s supposed to be as beautiful as Thailand but less developed and touristy. Large Asian cities don’t appeal to me, however Saigon(Ho Chi Min City) is a must! From the capital of French Indochina to the seat of communist Vietnam the cities history intrigues me. Although a somber monument, I think visiting a part of the Ho Chi Min Trail would be remarkable after learning about it in school. The beaches of Vietnam are supposed to be just as breathtaking as Thailand; plus it’s one of the last places on earth where people like Americans. I think this one is really going to happen for me. I am planning on meeting my bro and his girlfriend next spring for the Vietnamese new year! Nothing like a romantic trip to Vietnam....with someone's brother tagging along. Hopefully Char and I can ditch Dan for some of the time ;)


2. China - I've always want to see Hong Kong but never really had it high on my list of potential vaca spots. After seeing Mary Carillo's pieces(she is crazy but a fun kind of crazy)on China during the Olympics...which I was addicted too...this has moved up on my list. I love architecture so all the large, modern skyscrapers of Hong Kong would be awe-inspiring to see. In addition, now I want to see Shanghai, Weifang, the Kite Capital or the world, the Panda refugee and then eat some chocolate covered insects....do I really want to be just like Mary Carillo??? In addition, the East meets West allure of Taiwan would be fascinating too. I think I can piggy-back off the trip to Vietnam with a jaunt over to China. Who knows, maybe I'll fall in love with China and never come back!


3. Portugal – Can not wait to get here. I’ve heard the people are friendly and lively and the lifestyle is laid back…..like Spain, however it’s supposed to be more rustic and less touristy. I am and history dork so visiting this old century, maritime, world power is alluring. Although the Igreja de São RoqueI Jesuit church and the Conimbrigia ruins are must see sites, I mostly want to rent a bike and ride from coastal town to town and drink San Gria in a café on the beach.


4. Argentina, particularly Buenos Aires - It’s kind of dorky, but Matt Lauer was there for, where in the world is Matt Lauer and it looked impressive! The food and culture is supposed to be vibrant and young. Beunos Aires in particular looks kind of like a Paris in S. America. Plus I would love to learn the Argentine Tango...or at least dance with a sexy Argentinean! Plus Patagonia looks fantastic...of course it’s probably a lot like Colorado, but I have always wanted to go. You think if I wear my Northface or LL Bean fleece to Patagonia, I'll be chased out of the region?


5. Seychelles – A few tropical islands in the Indian Ocean. Talk about isolated, this nation is 1000 miles from its closest neighbor….Madagascar! It’s so expensive to get there, but I think the effort would be well rewarded. White sand, blue ocean, French-Indian fusion food….what more can you ask for? The island has no indigenous people and was first visited in the 16th Century. The people of the Seychelles, Seychellois, represent a true melting pot of African, French and Indian people. Interestingly enough the society is matriarchal…ie.Women tend to be dominant in the households. Plus, they speak French, which proves that my 5 years of learning French aren’t wasted :)

No comments: